Friday 30 January 2009

The most depressing cartoon film ever

A couple of days ago I was recommended to borrow the film "Graves of the Fireflies" from the library. I was told it is one of the best cartoon films ever made.

Well I did so, and I can just recommend everyone as well to watch it. The story is partially based on a autobiographical novel. Anyway, I can't remember if I have ever seen a more astonishing and depressing cartoon before.

Normally I think I associate cartoons with Disney films like Arielle, Aladdin or Beauty and the Beast,who all live in a world where - actually very strange - nobody dies except the evil characters (...okay, "Bambi's" Mother doesn't count...).
There are only a few cartoon films which display in a matter-of-factly way the naked and undisguised facts that can happen in life or which are actually part of it. The only films I remember now are "Animal Farm" and "When the wind blows". Both are very good as well.
I guess that is the point. As less cartoons there are like "Graves of the Fireflies" as more they are unique and have a greater impact on the viewer...at least on me.

No comments: