Sunday 2 November 2008

Films I like…

Here is a brief list of some films I love watching:

The Others

I am a great fan of ghost stories - and Nicole Kidman as well. I think what makes the film so special in my opinion – beside Nicole Kidman of course – is the twist at the end of the story, when she and her children suddenly have to face ...what they eventually have to face.

Furthermore I appreciated that the story was told without any technical special effects to spice it up.

Moulin Rouge

Although I despise love stories as I generally consider them as dull and sickening, I think that this one - placed in a tacky and overloaded Bollywood-stylish setting in Paris of the late 19th century, singing rock and pop songs of our days - is amazing. It is one of the films you have to watch several times as there are so many tiny details in every scene you absolutely can’t discover by watching that film just once.

And it is not just because of Nicole Kidman...

Drei Haselnuesse fuer Aschenbroedel ("Tři oříšky pro Popelku")

This film is an adaptation of “Cinderella” which was a co-production between the former Czechoslovakia and the former GDR (German Democratic Republic) in the seventies. During that time the Czechoslovakian produced a lot of fantasy films and programmes I think they are outstanding considering also "Arabela", "Pan Tau" or "Der fliegende Ferdinand".

Aschenbroedel is shown on television in Germany every year around Christmas and thus became a kind of cult film. I still love watching it otherwise Christmas wouldn’t be the same.


Hush, hush….sweet Charlotte (“Wiegenlied fuer eine Leiche”)

Years ago I discovered my passion for black and white films. The mere work with light and shadow appears to emphasise the conflict ridden situation of the protagonist – in this case the mental state of Bette Davis – and makes everything look a little bit “more”. So psycho-thrillers look a bit more creepy or dramas look more dramatic like the next film I want to introduce…

To kill a Mockingbird ("Wer die Nachtigall stoert")

I simply like this film - full stop.

1 comment:

D. Sarakinis said...

I agree on mockingbird, great movie, great adaptation. Have you read the book? It's actually a bit better!

And man, don't put spoilers so wide open. Thank God I've already seen The Others, but if someone hasn't, he'll hunt you down!